congrats to the raiders on a good win!
RAIDERS improve to 1-1 in the district and 4-1 overall with a 5-1 win over the devils.Pat Begley pitched a 6 hit,2 walk,6k,complete game to improve to 3-0 on the season.Ethan Stewart went 3for4 with 3rbi's,Pat Begley and Skylar Peters added a rbi apiece.Martinez Miles and Doug Jacobs got a cople of hits also.Stewart also threw out two runners attempting to steal 2nd.Peters made 4 putouts at 3rd.Will Hamilton had a hit and 2 putouts from his 2ndbase position.The Blue Devils drop to 0-2 in the district.The RAIDERS continue play tuesday against the Kelly Indians 2-3 overall and 2-0 in district play..
Have u ever played the game of FOOTBAll before?
congrats to the raiders on a good win!
"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to keep playin baseball"
-Pete Rose
WHAT HAPPENED TO POUND TODAY?
Have u ever played the game of FOOTBAll before?
they couldn't hit or field worth a crap and came out not ready to play while coeburn did and coeburn jsut put it to them
"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to keep playin baseball"
-Pete Rose
J. I. Burton came up with big hits at opportune times and Gate City did not. That was the difference in the game as the Raiders (4-1, 1-1), defeated the Blue Devils (0-2, 0-2), 5-1 in a Lonesome Pine District game at Hunter Wright Stadium Friday evening.
Gate City loaded the bases in the first innng with only one out and had the heart of the batting order up, but could not score.
"We've got to change our mental approach. We're leaving too many runners on base," said Gate City coach Shannon Carter, "When Burton got an opportunity, they scored. We are also missing signs, but we will get better. Our defense improved tonight."
Burton took the lead in the third inning when second baseman Will Hamilton singled to left field, stole second and center fielder Jay Coleman bunted for a base hit and stole second. Catcher Ethan Stewart drove both runners home with a shot to left center.
"We can compete with anyone in the District, if our pitching holds up," said Stewart. "We are a good hitting team."
Winning pitcher Pat Begley drove Stewart across with the Raiders' third run in the sixth with a single.
"I felt good out there tonight. This is a fine place to play baseball," said Stewart. "We've got good athletes on this team that have a lot of speed. We have high expectations for the season."
Gate City finally got a run in the sixth inning as right fielder Joseph Riner reached on an error and left fielder Ked Byrd drove the only Blue Devil run home with a single down the right field line with two out.
Stewart led the Raiders at the plate going 3-for-4 and driving in two runs. Stewart also gunned down two Gate City runners attempting to steal second base. Jay Coleman and Will Hamilton had two hits each for Burton.
"I thought we played well, pitched well and played good defense," said Burton coach Mack Shupe. "We got some big hits from the botton of our lineup and Skyler Peters made some fine plays at third base. Baseball is alive and well in Norton. We've got kids with a lot of baseball knowledge. Gate City always gives us a tough time. They are real competitive and well coached."
Gate City had seven players, Buck Eldridge, Cody Salyer, Jordan Estep, Joseph Riner, Trey Clark, Luke Kirk, and Ked Byrd, all with one hit apiece.
J. I. Burton 002 001 2--5-11-2
Gate City 000 001 0--1--7--2
Pat Begley (7), Ethan Stewart, Jon Pope (7), Dustin Jones, W -
Begley
(3-1), L - Pope (0-1)
"To be the man, you've got to beat the man."
i think it is funny that after a loss the other day shupe refused to talk to reporters and after a win he is saying "baseball is alive and well in norton"
"I'm not here to be loved, I'm here to win."
Does that really suprise you coming from his mouth? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
If baseball is alive in Norton, come Tuesday,we'll be briging the flat-liners. Injuns pull the plug in 5 14-3. WOOT WOOT!
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future
im going to take burton in that match up Indian Dad.
I would go with Indian Dad. 12-2 JJK is my guess.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
Bookmarks